Culinary Students, it's your time to shine!
Don your whites and toque to create your best culinary ins-pear-ation! Whether you create an appetizer, salad, entrée, dessert, or beverage, we want to see your flair with the pear! The flavour and texture of fresh pears are perfect for many culinary applications. Baked, sautéed, juiced, sliced, pureed… the only limit is your imagination!
Five regional finalists will win a trip to Montreal in April 2015 to compete for the $2,500 Grand Prize!
A finalist will be selected from each of the following five regions:
- British Columbia (Northwest Territories)
- Prairies (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba)
- Maritimes (New Brunswick, Newfoundland/Labrador, Nova Scotia, PEI)
The four finalists not selected as Grand Prize winner will each receive $1,000. Plus, each finalist’s school will receive an award for supplies or its general scholarship fund; $500 to the Grand Prize winner’s school and $300 to the other finalists' schools.
A panel of judges will evaluate your recipe on the following criteria:
- Prominent Use of Fresh USA Pears – Does the recipe use a significant amount of fresh Green Anjou, Red Anjou, and/or Bosc varieties of USA Pears so that the flavour is identified when tasted?
- Prominent Use of Canada-produced Ingredient(s) – Does the recipe showcase at least one Canadian-produced protein, or produce item, or dairy product, etc. that complements the pears in your recipe?
- Originality – Is the recipe unique?
- Creativity – Does the recipe have the capability to inspire others with its creative use of pears?
- Mechanics of Recipe – Does the recipe work? Does it taste good?
- Appearance – Does the dish look appetizing? Is it photogenic?
Void where prohibited. Must be 18 or over to enter. Open only to culinary students seeking a culinary associate’s degree, diploma, or certificate at accredited schools located in Canada. Entries accepted through March 2, 2015. See Terms and Conditions for further details and restrictions.