Congratulations to the 2014 Finalists!
Fresh and Cured with Compliments of Pears
New Brunswick Community College St. Andrews
Regional Finalist, Maritimes
Grand Prize Winner
Pear Ravioli Three Ways with Vanilla Chardonnay Buerre Blanc
Vancouver Island University
Regional Finalist, British Columbia/Northwest Territories
People's Choice Winner
Janine Sumner Traverse
Pork with Pear and Blueberry Stuffing with Red Wine Poached Pear Spinach Salad
Red River College, Patterson Global Foods Institute
Regional Finalist, Prairies
Bosc Pear Trio
Centennial College Progress Campus
Regional Finalist, Ontario
Samantha Katharine Hudon-Sue
Bosc Pear and Radicchio Duck Roulade with Anjou Pear and Pomegranate Puree
Regional Finalist, Quebec
Click here to view the winning recipes!
Please join us in congratulating these students! The competition was fierce, and we are grateful to all the students from across the country who participated.
The following is for reference only; the contest deadline has passed.
Culinary Students, it's your time to shine!
Don your whites and toque to create your best culinary insPEARation! Whether you create an appetizer, salad, entrée, dessert, or beverage, we want to see your flair with the pear! The flavour and texture of fresh pears are perfect for many culinary applications. Baked, sautéed, juiced, sliced, pureed… the only limit is your imagination!
Five regional finalists will win a trip to Vancouver in April 2014 to compete for the $2,500 Grand Prize!
A finalist will be selected from each of the following five regions:
- British Columbia (Northwest Territories)
- Prairies (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba)
- Maritimes (New Brunswick, Newfoundland/Labrador, Nova Scotia, PEI)
The four finalists not selected as Grand Prize winner will each receive $1,000. Plus, each finalist’s school will receive an award for supplies or its general scholarship fund; $500 to the Grand Prize winner’s school and $300 to the other finalists' schools.
A panel of judges will evaluate your recipe on the following criteria:
- Prominent Use of Fresh USA Pears - Does the recipe use a significant amount of fresh Green Anjou, Red Anjou, and/or Bosc varieties of USA Pears so that the flavour is identified when tasted?
- Prominent Use of Canada-produced Ingredient(s) - Does the recipe showcase at least one Canadian produced protein, or produce item, or dairy product, etc. that complements the pears in your recipe?
- Originality - Is the recipe unique?
- Creativity – Does the recipe have the capability to inspire others with its creative use of pears?
- Mechanics of Recipe - Does the recipe work? Does it taste good?
- Appearance – Does the dish look appetizing? Is it photogenic?
For reference only. The contest deadline has passed.
Void where prohibited. Must be 18 or over to enter. Open only to culinary students seeking a culinary associate’s degree, diploma, or certificate at accredited schools located in Canada. Entries accepted through March 3, 2014. See Terms and Conditions for further details and restrictions.